High School (11th Grade)
Adult Confirmation for Practicing Catholics
For many reasons, Confirmation is often postponed in the life of a Candidate. In the Diocese of Baton Rouge, Confirmation preparation usually occurs in the eleventh grade for candidates who have had continuous religious education. The Bishop of the Diocese confers the Sacrament of Confirmation for both young people and prepared adults. The adult celebration is held each year on Pentecost Sunday, which will be on Sunday, June 4, 2017. The Mass will be celebrated at the Cathedral of St. Joseph at 12:00 Noon.
For Most Blessed Sacrament Parish, the program is designed to prepare adults who are practicing Catholics and who meet the established Sacramental guidelines (see below) of the Diocese. The course includes a period of preparation that requires attendance in an Inquiry Session and three evenings of formation to discuss Sacraments of Initiation and Ministry. The book, Catholicism Today, is used for instruction and discussion.
Candidates will receive information on having the assistance of a Sponsor to journey with them to the Sacrament. The Sponsor is asked to attend the third class, and must be present with their Candidate for the reception of the Sacrament on Pentecost Sunday.
To be eligible for Confirmation in the Adult process, the following criterion must be met:
1. The candidate is an ADULT over the age of 18 years and must not be in high school.
2. The candidate must provide a copy of their Baptismal certificate by the day of the first class.
3. The candidate must be registered in MBS parish, or have permission of their Pastor if registered in another parish, as they are seeking Sacramental instruction for Confirmation from MBS Parish.
4. The candidate is practicing their faith by attending worship on a regular basis at MBS or another Catholic church.
5. If MARRIED, the candidate must have been married by a Catholic Priest or Catholic Deacon, or have had their marriage blessed by the Church.
6. The candidate must participate in the Inquiry Session and the three classes of instruction.
7. The candidate is asked to participate in the Sacrament of Reconciliation before receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation.
8. The Candidate will be required to provide a SPONSOR, another adult who is a practicing, confirmed Catholic, who is registered in a Catholic Church Parish, and, if married, must also have been married by a Catholic Priest or Catholic Deacon, or have had their marriage blessed.
Sponsors will need the recommendation and signature of the Pastor of their Parish for acceptance as a Sponsor for the Candidate. A Sponsor Eligibility Form is to be completed by the Sponsor and given to their pastor for verification and signature. The form must be returned to our office by fax or mail, by the designated date.